Weather Bureau

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by abirdo abirdo 2 weeks, 5 days ago. This post has been viewed 99 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

I think the weather people need to stick their heads out of the open window sometimes as they seem to have been wrong in their forecasts quite a few times lately. I am referring to Melbourne,  the forecast for Saturday   sounded as if the day was going to be dreadful  for the footie fans and it turned out   a reasonable day with sunshine.

williamthebold
    Participant

Bettyh:
    When I read your post I had the immediate wish to be a cartoonist.
    Then I would be able to draw a very attention grabbing picture of how it all happens.
    A man leaning out of a window at the weather bureau calls out to his workmate inside…
    ‘The ants are running wild on the footpath Charlie…put down a change in the weather likely’…
    I am sure that would be more accurate.
    Thank you for brightening my day.

bettyh Vic
    bettyh Vic
    Participant

Hey Williamthebold you made me think of the weekend when I said. hey   obviously nice warm weather  at last, look at all the ants swarming everywhere, when I came out again at a  later time  yes ants were still everywhere but  there was a dead worm that  hundreds of ants were swarming over.

I wondered if they all managed to get a bite of the poor old worm.

Tedwalker
    Tedwalker
    Participant

If the forecasts were precisely correct, that would take some of the fun out of anticipating how the next day will be.
    We must have a sense of adventure.

Jen
    Jen
    Participant

Living in South East Queensland I treasure the radar weather services provided by the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM), the QPS warnings (Queensland Police Service), the Rural Fire Service and the Energex Power outages emergency online services.

I think they are just amazing and I refer to them all the time when storm season hits or other local emergencies happen. Latest personally yesterday, storms and power outage … info online within 5 minutes.

Don’t know what I’d do without them quite frankly. They are essential in an emergency IMO and I am extremely grateful for the online services they provide.

I couldn’t give a continental if the daily weather forecast (only given officially twice a day) doesn’t coincide with what I see out the window in a given 12 hour time frame. Who cares for goodness sake unless it’s an emergency?

When the chips are down their services are both brilliant and essential IMO.

malmather
    malmather
    Participant

it must be 50 or so years ago when my wife was talking about the weather forecast and our eldest daughter about 6 at the time said “do they really know mummy,  or do they just guess?”

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

I used to work at the Weather Bureau in UK so many years ago. It was very interesting to note that when the forecasters shift ended the next forecasters would often totally disagree with their predecessors and so the forecast changed dramatically. No satellite help then just a few weather ships in the Atlantic.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15