What has happened to decent movies

Welcome to the Greypath National Seniors Website Forums CoffeeHaus What has happened to decent movies

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Salina 1 week, 1 day ago. This post has been viewed 99 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bettym
    bettym
    Participant

No wonder we have an enormous amount of crime in Australia these days, the young are fed a nonstop diet on TV of crime, its happening, or being planned, cops shooting guns, people being gunned down and so on. I cant bear to watch any of it.
    I do miss the old musical movies,dancing,singing or just romance, even comedies, it’s lovely when sometimes the Tv stations do screen on old movie.
    Remember the Marx brothers , Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy. What ever happened to all the wonderful comedians and groups that England used to have, and all the wonderful dancers and singers that used to be always on our screens. They world must still have some, but we don’t ever hear of them these days. I think its about time we were able to see some really lovely movies again, instead of all the ghastly depressing crime filled ones that are on these days.
    I guess some folks will say oh yuck Betty must be feeling her age!!!!!

williamthebold
    Participant

The movies are still there Betty. Just few and far between.
    I find that DVDs are a better prospect these days.
    One can choose the title, and watch it without advertisements.
    I note that many older movies are being digitally remastered, and are much more ‘presentable’ now.
    They have much improved quality of picture and sound.

Keep in mind it is the advertising world who make the money, and are also the life blood of Tv stations.
    This encourages Tv stations to resort to ever more ‘shocking’ and unusual programming to keep their audience.
    No doubt they did surveys and similar investigations to find out how best to keep the public watching.
    The result is what you see.
    The only ‘cure’ for this madness (in our case) is to be super selective about what we watch.
    We can do this only for ourselves. We cannot regulate other people directly.
    We can make our displeasure and concern known to those who can do something about it?
    But I think we are ‘fighting’ a truly uphill battle.
    Somewhat like trying to dissuade people from gambling, alcohol, and smoking.
    When there are large organisations making money from these things, there is great opposition to change.
    But YOU can see the drawbacks to the programming the way it is.
    I am sure the majority of other people can do, and do do, the same?
    So perhaps all is not as bad as it might appear to be?
    And I bet the ‘mute’ button is used a great deal in many homes to protect watchers from advertising too.

Salina
    Participant

Free to air tv probably wont exist in a couple of years.   Most people now subscribe to streaming services, which is what tv owners want of course. Nevertheless, I also find it frustrating that they show the same shows and a few movies in a continuous loop.   Frankly I don’t care much as I nod off to sleep anyway.   Also, it is possible to find some of the old movies on the internet……so one can view them on the computer or there is an attachment for the tv monitor than will allow one to watch programs from the internet on the tv monitor.

But, sadly, everything is geared toward the young, who have all the latest gadgets and don’t watch tv.

hibiscusrose
    hibiscusrose
    Participant

I can’t find any enjoyment in movies either.   I usually watch the kids animated movies – much more enjoyable!

You can’t beat movies like Toy Story – Ice Age – Pets, and lots of others like them.

bettym
    bettym
    Participant

The TV station GEM Ch92 has some good movies on Saurdays and SBS does have a Movie channel Ch 32 but most of the movies listed sound foreign.
    Anyway these days I seldom watch movies at night time as I prefer to read.

Did watch a movie yesterday afternoon on Gem as the weather was appalling here in Melbourne .The movie was’ Murder on the Orient Express’, I think it was the original version as it had Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Shaun Connery, and so on. The chap who played the detective Poirot I did not know but found it very hard to understand his accent and he wasn’t a patch on David Suchet.’ ‘Just my opinion’

abirdo
    abirdo
    Participant

Yes having watched David Suchet play Poirot so many times anyone else is simply not the character at all!

Salina
    Participant

The following has been copied from W’pedia.   The film has been on twice in the last few weeks, on two different channels.   The first time I saw it, I just happened to stumble onto it, as my footy team was losing, so only saw half of it.   It came on a couple of nights ago on the second channel, so saw the whole film.   A wonderful and inspiring film, well acted…not over dramatized.    I’m not generally a fan of Kevin Costner, but he was excellent in his part in the film.

This article is about the film. For the book on which it is based, see Hidden Figures (book).
    Hidden Figures

Theatrical release poster
    Directed by
    Theodore Melfi
    Produced by
    Donna Gigliotti
    Peter Chernin
    Jenno Topping
    Pharrell Williams
    Theodore Melfi
    Screenplay by
    Allison Schroeder
    Theodore Melfi
    Based on
    Hidden Figures
    by Margot Lee Shetterly
    Starring
    Taraji P. Henson
    Octavia Spencer
    Janelle Monáe
    Kevin Costner
    Kirsten Dunst
    Jim Parsons
    Music by
    Hans Zimmer
    Pharrell Williams
    Benjamin Wallfisch
    Cinematography
    Mandy Walker
    Edited by
    Peter Teschner
    Production
    company
    Fox 2000 Pictures
    Chernin Entertainment
    Levantine Films
    Distributed by
    20th Century Fox
    Release date
    December 10, 2016 (SVA Theatre)
    December 25, 2016 (United States)
    Running time
    127 minutes[1]
    Country
    United States
    Language
    English
    Budget
    $25 million[2]
    Box office
    $236 million[3]
    Hidden Figures is a 2016 American biographical drama film directed by Theodore Melfi and written by Melfi and Allison Schroeder. It is loosely based on the non-fiction book of the same name by Margot Lee Shetterly about black female mathematicians who worked at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) during the Space Race. The film stars Taraji P. Henson as Katherine Johnson, a mathematician who calculated flight trajectories for Project Mercury and other missions. The film also features Octavia Spencer as NASA supervisor and mathematician Dorothy Vaughan and Janelle Monáe as NASA engineer Mary Jackson, with Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst, Jim Parsons, Glen Powell, and Mahershala Ali in supporting roles.
    Principal photography began in March 2016 in Atlanta and was wrapped up in May 2016. Hidden Figures had a limited release on December 25, 2016, by 20th Century Fox, before going wide in the United States on January 6, 2017. The film received positive reviews from critics and grossed $236 million worldwide. It was chosen by National Board of Review as one of the top ten films of 2016[4] and was nominated for numerous awards, including three Oscar nominations (Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress for Spencer), and two Golden Globes (Best Supporting Actress for Spencer and Best Original Score). It also won the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

Wikipedia

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15