Who does what?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  williamthebold 1 week, 5 days ago. This post has been viewed 35 times

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

williamthebold
    Participant

I refer to this report.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-25/trinity-teacher-on-trial-over-student-sex-assault-reporting/12084788
    “Trinity College teachers face trial over failure to report alleged sexual assault of student by rugby teammates”
    “Year 10, 11 and 12 students took part in the 10-day tour to Japan, where they played rugby against Japanese teams and also enjoyed some sightseeing and shopping.”
    The incident is alleged to have taken place at a Japanese hotel on the outskirts of Tokyo in April 2017.
    My immediate questions is: why is legal action being pursued locally about this matter?
    The alleged incident took place in another country. That is where any legal remedy should be actioned?
    Australian law does not apply in another jurisdiction.
    Whatever Australian law covers these situations locally,  it would not be valid for another country?
    Even were there some reciprocal agreement between countries, I fail to see this as enforcable, except by agreement.
    Which could lead to possible bias?
    Again and again, travellers are advised they will be subject to the laws of the country they are visiting.
    Was Australian law applied to the Bali Nine?
    Why is the present alleged incident an exception to the rule?
    We really need to keep this matter in legal perspective.
    Were Australian law to be applicable in another country, our local officers could automatically go there and investigate circumstances?
    And possibly arrest someone they thought had committed an offence?
    Get real!
    Try telling another country you have that right.
    You would be in for a rude awakening and more.
    Locals are trying to do remotely what cannot be done in person.
    Neither way is legal?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15