A few more little memories

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bettymbettym
    Participant

Remember the bread man coming around on his horse and  cart?

When he had finished his deliveries we would go out with our bucket and spade and scoop up the horse droppings, he always seemed oblige opposite our house.  ( You had to be quick as other folk would be out). Also when the bread   van  ( not the cart) would stop in the shopping strip the driver would always be happy  to hand out any bread pieces or torn buns to children that would be around.

Another sight we used to enjoy was seeing all the shift workers from the dockyards going home, there would be hundreds of them all riding their bikes. Very few cars in those days.

Salina
    Participant

Where I lived as a child is now very much a built up inner suburb.

Back then though ,sheep were driven past our house, and same as you, betty, bread and milk delivered by horse and cart.   We could walk from our house and pick mushrooms and even aniseed fronds (fennel), which Mum cooked in soups and stews…a most delicious flavour.

Those horses were the gentlest creatures and so well trained.

The grocer on the corner happily filled a brown paper bag of broken biscuits and we happily paid a penny.

Gathering around the radio to listen to favourite programs.

We had to call the phone exchange to speak to someone 10 miles away. 🙂

Just a few memories.

RachelRachel
    Participant

Oh my gosh I am drifting back to my childhood with these memories.
    What will todays children look back on and remember as fondly as I do.

tivolidreamer
    Participant

Although I dont think there is much point in saying much better things were but sometimes lets face it. ….
    Returnable bottles at the milk bar
    No plastic bags

JenJen
    Participant

“What will todays children look back on and remember as fondly as I do.”

Poor kids would probably like to forget the “coronavirus years”. Don’t blame them.

Must admit, many of my childhood memories aren’t looked back on fondly in the main, very harsh times living in the bush. There were some good times too but a bit far between.

🙂 Loved it when we moved into town where we had “electricity” and I got to go to “school”.

bigglesbiggles
    Participant

Hi folks ..

.. as a newbie I spo’s I gotta start somewhere ..

It was initially the “clip-clop” of a dray horse coming down the lane. My Dad told me that.

.. but I do remember when that green truck came down the lane to pick up the ol’ dunny cans ..

Some things still “boggle” the minds eh !

TulipTulip
    Participant

Welcome Biggles!
    The Baker’s shop was at the end of the main street. The Bread was white & unwrapped!

bettymbettym
    Participant

RE those bread carts the driver? used to come into the yards with a basket over his arm and a assortment of different bread loaves, big and small unwrapped as Tulip says and we could pick which loaf we felt like .

I cant imagine that happening these days – imagine the germs, ugh some people would say. Oh lovely memories from us all. Hullo Biggles!

JenJen
    Participant

🙂 Speaking of memories and bread …

Otto Frederick Rohwedder of Davenport, Iowa, United States, invented the first loaf-at-a-time bread-slicing machine and produced a working model in 1928. Also in 1928 sliced bread was sold for the first time, on the inventor’s 48th birthday, by the Chillicothe Baking Company of Chillicothe, Missouri.

This led to the popular phrase “greatest thing since sliced bread”.

However during World War II, the US government briefly banned sliced bread because of “wasteful” packaging.

In Australia, too, bread was no longer to be sliced or wrapped.

The following article appeared in a Wagga Wagga newspaper in 1944:

CUT OR SLICED BREAD
    The Department for War Organisation of Industry has flung a bomb shell among bakers and their customers. A Wagga master baker has received a letter from the department warning him against the practice of cutting, slicing, wrapping or branding bread in any manner whatsoever. This means that the master baker and bread distributors may not for the convenience of his customers cut up bread. It applies generally and Includes as customers organisations which run functions and which, in the past have arranged with bakers to slice loaves for their convenience. Bakers are warned to comply with the instruction of the department, otherwise the renewal of their licenses may be affected.

Even after the war, most households continued to have their bread – unsliced and unwrapped – delivered by the local bread cart or baker.

In 1948-49, Australians ate on average 64kg of bread a year.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15