Well known surnames!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bettymbettym
    Participant

What has happened to the surnames we used to know. For example Smith, Jones, Williams , Moore,, Most of the surnames I see these days I can’t even pronounce  and they are so long in the spelling. Australia is changing  in more ways than one, As I  have said before when you go into  the cities it a case of “Spot the Aussie” these days, we used to be known as blonde, tanned, tall and good looking , not any more .

Dusty WADusty WA
    Participant

I couldn’t agree more, Australia as we knew it is long gone

JenJen
    Participant

Then I guess you wouldn’t appreciate these famous names from the beginnings of European settlement in Australia:
    • Friedrich Wilhelm ‘Ludwig’ Leichhardt whose explorations opened up much of the country to pastoralism.
    • Abel Janszoon Tasman the first European to discover Tasmania and confirm Australia as an island continent.
    • Woollarawarre Bennelong the first Aboriginal man to visit Europe and return.
    • Paul Edmund de Strzelecki the keen explorer who named mainland Australia’s tallest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko.

Dusty WADusty WA
    Participant

Nothing against any of it Jen.I think they were all great in what they did. I make no bones about the fact in my opinion us oldies saw the best of this world and I see nothing to change that opinion

tivolidreamer
    Participant

Henry Vander Sluice

Later known as Roy Rene
    And later
    MO. The great Tivoli star!

What about real Aussie names like
    Albert Namatjira

williamthebold
    Participant

I don’t think we should dwell so much on the past, except as a source of pleasant memories.
    What’s done is done!
    We cannot change the past, or return to it.
    We can only learn from it.
    The present is far more important to us.
    Right now is when we make the changes that lead to a better future.
    And…
    I do remember ‘Mo’, and ‘Mr Lasho’ (Hal Lashwood)
    I have an LP of ‘the best of’? somewhere.
    Pleasant memories…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
WordPress theme: Kippis 1.15